The Best Soaker Hose For Your Garden – Top 5 Products Reviews
Gone are the days when you had to move around, carrying a heavy hose to water the plants you have in your garden because of soaker hoses. With changing times, it has evolved and there are lighter, durable and efficient versions available in the market today. The soaker hose is used in gardens and fields to water the plants and soil in an efficient, consistent, and economical manner.
A soaker hose, usually made from recycled tires, is a porous garden hose installed at the base of the plants, where water flows through the tube, or hose, and seeps slowly out through the walls to water the plants. Watering an entire row of plants and soils simultaneously is one of the advantages that soaker hose reviews has in comparison to using just the regular garden hoses and drip irrigation watering system.
With soaker hoses, growing a healthier and livelier garden is within reach. Let us dig deeper and know here about the best soaker hoses for your garden.
Know Here Why Every Garden Needs A Soaker Hose
Efficiency and convenience
Efficiency is one of the key advantages of using soaker hoses. Efficient in a way that soaker hoses have the ability to wet the plants and soils evenly and slowly, preventing water waste and over-watering. With soaker hoses reviews, no water is wasted through evaporation as everything that comes out from the holes of the hose is directed directly on the roots of a plant.
Gardening becomes a convenient task as well because the hoses are stationary, eliminating the need to drag heavy hoses around the garden just to water everything. Also, the soaker hoses reviews claims that it can also be installed with a timer that will turn the hose on and off as required, further promoting an efficient and convenient way of gardening.
Because soaker hoses are installed at the base of the plants, watering near the ground provides few advantages for the garden owner. First, watering at ground level ensures precise watering of plants; that is to say, you are just watering the plants and not the weeds that may grow together with your plants in the garden.
Second, by targeting the soil, you are able to keep the leaves of the plants dry, thus, minimizing the risks of plants diseases and rotting of roots. By using soaker hoses, you are able to maintain a consistent soil moisture while keeping the leaves of the plants dry, hence, promoting healthier and livelier looking plants in your garden.
Generally made from recycled tires, and considering the soaker hose reviews, they are said to be durable and pliable, which means they can be easily laid out and between plants and limited spaces in your garden, promoting easy installation and maintenance. When installed under mulch to keep it out of the sunlight, soaker hose lasts for several seasons, from wet to dry, so it can be used longer in your garden compared to the normal garden hoses.
Budget-friendly and easier installation
Unlike the drip irrigation system, soaker hoses are cheaper to buy and easier to install, requiring lesser time and materials for installation. With soaker hoses, installation can be as easy as attaching the hose to a garden house where an outdoor faucet is attached.
According to soaker hoses reviews, it can also be installed in between plants and narrow rows in your garden so limited space is not an issue. This kind of hose is a great option for watering the vegetable gardens, flower beds, islands and around trees. With the more expensive drip irrigation system, hose, filters, emitters, and regulators are still needed to make one running.
What To Look For In A Soaker Hose
- The right length
So how to decide which soaker hose is best for your garden? Let us know about the length first. When buying a soaker hose, you have to make sure that the length is enough to cover everything that has to be watered in your garden. From the plants to the narrow rows, the length of the soaker hose should be sufficient so that no part is missed.
Although soaker beds are more useful in traditional row-style vegetable and flower beds, they can still be used in any garden and field, so make sure to leave some extra lengths, especially if your soaker hoses will be installed where there will be some twists or turns, as this type of hose is flexible and can conform to any shape when needed.
- Test the durability and the strength
As mentioned earlier, soaker hoses are generally made from recycled tires, however, hoses made from fabric are also available in the market today. Choosing one that is made from recycled tires on the hand is better in a way that soaker hoses made from this material is undoubtedly durable, making the hose last for several seasons.
Hence, when buying soaker hoses, make sure that the material is from a recycled tire, or at least close to it, so your hose can be utilized for a long period of time. Ensure that there are enough holes on it also so that water can be distributed evenly among the plants and narrow rows of soils in your garden.
- Pressure rating
When buying a soaker hose, make sure that the item can withstand water pressure, high or low. A soaker hose usually works good at a water pressure of approx 20-30 psi. Some soaker hoses can burst and flood the soil when exposed to high water pressure. If the package of the soaker hose indicates the pressure rating that it can withstand, the better. If there is nothing, though, you can test its durability to pressure with a gauge as well.
Checking the pressure that the hose can withstand before buying it prevents it from split or to spray which leads to possible flooding in your garden. A good way to keep the hose working properly is by using a regulator with a standard soaker hose water pressure of 45 psi.
The best soaker hoses reviews says that soaker hoses not only come in various lengths, some designs come in flat, while most are still the traditional round type. When buying a soaker hose for your garden, consider the installation that you opt to do. If you want a hose that will fit your garden beautifully and efficiently, you can opt for the flat soaker hoses that don’t bulge as much as the regular circular hoses when installed in the ground.
If aesthetics is not an issue, and you prefer a heavier duty soaker hose, you can opt for the regular circular hose which is more durable and can withstand higher water pressure.
The Best 5 Soaker Hose For Your Garden - Short Reviews
The Melnor Flat Soaker Hose is one of the better products which you can find on the market. Its most striking characteristic is its flat body which gives it a lot of advantages over other soaker houses with the old circular bodies. Among the benefits which you can get from using this hose are as follows:
- Space-saving: This soaker hose can fit any size of soil beds because of its flat design. This makes it easier to plan and maintain your gardens because this soaker hose can be placed snugly in whatever space available.
- Easy storage: This feature is again made available because of the flat body of this soaker hose. Whereas round hose can be a pain to stow and disassemble when not in use, the Melnor Flat Soaker Hose can be neatly kept away and stored easily as its design allows it to be folded almost effortlessly even if you get the longer variants.
- Durable Make: Melnor hose is the most durable one available and their flat soaker hose is no exception. Their hoses can be used and reused for long periods without any bursting sections or leak issues.
One possible con of using this hose, however, is flexibility, which it also owes to its flat design. Setting up the hose along edges and curves may prove to be tricky, and may require adjustments to the pressure of the water source for efficiency. It is still viable, regardless, and may even be better than another round hose as to this expect.
Dramm products are among the most recognizable brands in gardening and garden maintenance as their products prove to be exceptionally reliable. Many of their products are heavy-duty and can bear more than the usual amounts of stress. Among their many trustworthy products is their soaker hose which boasts the following features:
- Durable Make: This Dramm soaker hose employs thick and sturdy walls for the hose body. The strong manufacturing and its thick walls which can withstand strong pressure, and prevent the presence of leaks and geysers in the hose. This feature also ensures that no water is wasted.
- Environment-friendly: This soaker hose is made from recycled materials which bolster its environmental appeal. You can rest easy knowing that one of your trusty tools in maintaining your garden green is also made from environment-friendly materials.
- Uses less water: Another pre-environment feature of this Dramm soaker hose is that it uses 90% less water compared to other hose in watering the same area. Its efficiency with regard to the consumption of water means that garden beds are watered properly with small excesses.
This Dramm soaker hose is on the slightly pricier end of the spectrum. Its price can prove to be a possible con as there are other products which can get the job done at slightly lesser prices, albeit without the added feature of this Dramm soaker hose.
Another flat-bodied hose available in markets is the Gilmour Flat Soaker Hose. It boasts of a weeping method of watering which allows for an efficient and hassle-free way of providing irrigation to your gardens. Its other features are:
- Efficiency: The weeping method which this soaker hose employ allows for more efficient irrigation as it lets water “weep” by slowly releasing in small doses instead of the constant bursts. This is a rather efficient method as it excess water from evaporating. It also makes it ideal for growing seedlings and other small plants which do not require big doses of water.
- Durable Product: This Gilmour Soaker Hose is made of durable materials on the inside which is designed to prevent leaks and to handle strong amounts of pressure in conjunction with its weeping method. On the outside, the body is covered with fabric to protect the hose body from harmful UV rays. It is durable enough to be in place without maintenance for long periods of time.
- Easy to Use: Like other flat-bodied hoses, the Gilmour Soaker Hose allows for easy setting up and stowing because of its flat design. It can also be easily moved around and transferred without disturbing your gardens.
The Gilmour Soaker Hose also suffers from flexibility issues, again owing to its flat body. However, the weeping method, coupled with its durable design which can handle strong amounts of pressure can still do the job, even when faced with curves and edges. It sells for $13.46 for the 50-foot variant.
The Miracle Gro Premium Bulk Soaker Hose boasts, among others, unique flexibility through its EZ Connect Fittings. This makes it easier to work around curves, edges and landscaped gardens. It also offers a number of awesome features which you should not miss in a soaker hose.
- Flexibility: The EZ Connect Fittings makes it possible for this soaker hose to be cut and customized to fit your garden needs. Sections can be easily pieced together using the EZ Connect Fittings to deliver water in otherwise hard-to-reach areas.
- Effortless Water Delivery: The Miracle Gro Soaker Hose features a porous hose which allows water to be delivered constantly in areas where it is set up. This ensures that water is properly delivered to the areas which need it the most. It employs the same weeping method by slowly releasing water in uniform doses to ensure proper watering and prevent oversaturation. The hose also employs a regulator which adjusts the pressure inside the hose to ensure that the right amount of water is released.
- Durable Make: This soaker hose is also made from recycled material which adds to its environment-friendly appeal. The hose itself is also designed to withstand strong pressures which can be easily adjusted by using the regulator that comes with it.
It can be a bit tricky to set up as it requires some cutting and assembly but when properly installed, it gets the job done efficiently and properly.
This product contains not only a hose but also a starter kit which will prove useful in doing the hose setup. The EZ Connect System Kit that also comes with the hose contains more fittings compared to the previous Miracle Gro Soaker Hose and this, coupled with its 100-foot long body translates to more flexibility options and even creative designs. Among the many features that this product offers are as follows:
- Versatility: The mere number of EZ Connect Fittings that comes with the hose means that this product can fit most landscape and garden designs. It works great even with complicated layouts as the EZ Connect Fittings helps the hose deliver water even in the most hard-to-reach areas.
- Environment-friendly: This hose also employs the weeping method found in earlier products. Aside from delivering water safely to the garden, this hose does the job with less wastage as compared to sprinklers as water is fed directly to the plants and other areas which need it.
- Efficiency: This soaker hose kit also comes with a regulator which makes watering your garden more efficient as you can basically control the amount of water which the hose can be released over time by simply adjusting its regulator.
Like the previous Miracle Gro product, this soaker hose kit can be a tad difficult to set up owing to the number of parts it comes with and its sheer length. It is advisable to have your garden layout ready first before proceeding to set your hose kit for easier installation.
Which Soaker Hose Kit Is The Best For You To Buy?
The short answer to this question is: It depends on various factors. Let us simplify it for you. The best soaker kit for you is definitely the one which caters most to your needs. It is, therefore, necessary to know first the needs of your garden before setting up your soaker hose. What is good for your neighbors’ gardens may sometimes not be suitable for your garden. The best soaker hose for your garden will really depend on its intended use and what garden you have.
For the smaller backyard gardens, it is advisable to use flat-bodied soaker hoses because of their inherent compatibility with small spaces owing to their flat design. For the bigger gardens, the Miracle Gro Soaker Hose or the Soaker Hose Kit can prove to be the better choices as it allows water to be delivered through the hose even in the largest areas and the most intricate of designs because of their EZ Connect Fittings functionality.
For the no-nonsense pickup, however, which can sufficiently service all garden sizes and designs, you can never go wrong with the Dramm soaker hose. As per the opinions of other soaker hose reviews, Its reliability and functionality can be a great addition to any garden. It can also be easily installed in the small spaces and in the bigger ones. This hose can be counted on to do its job properly and efficiently, whatever garden circumstance it may find itself in.